Note: The picture study rotation was updated in July 2020. Some of the artists that were originally in the rotation were removed to make way a more balanced selection in terms of gender and nationality. This unfortunately had the impact of moving some artists around and you may have already studied the artists listed for this. We have included an optional replacement artist at the bottom if that is the case.
Claude Monet (1840-1926)
Monet is such a popular artist that you are encouraged to check out your library for a selection of books about his life and works. There are several lovely children's book.
- Linnea in Monet's Garden by by Christina Björk (affiliate link)
- Monet Paints a Day by Julie Danneberg (affiliate link)
- Monet: Shadow and Light - a cheesy little film about a boy meeting Monet (and Renoir). Check to see if your library offers it through their streaming services.
- Monet's Palette and Technique - a quick tutorial for painting like Monet
- Impression, Sunrise (1864)
- Woman with a Parasol - Madame Monet and Her Son (1875) - notes
- The Artist's Gardens at Vetheuil (1881) - notes here; and a short children's video here
- The Water Lily Pond: Green Harmony (1899)- notes
- The Houses of Parliament, Sunset (1903) - this is a part of series. You could find information about all the paintings of parliament here.
- Water Lilies (1916) - there are over 250 paintings in the Water Lily series! More info here and a sort analysis here.
Amrita Sher-Gil (1913-1941)
Amrita Sher Gil: Rebel with a Paint Brush by Anita vachharajani
BOOKS and articles:
- Amrita Sher Gil: Rebel with a Paint Brush by Anita Vachharajani (affiliate link)
- Overlooked No More: Amrita Sher-Gil, a Pioneer of Indian Art, New York Times article
- Amrita Sher-Gil at Wikipedia
- Group of Three Girls (1935)
- South Indian Villagers Going to Market (1937)
- Untitled (In the Garden) (1938)
- Trees (1939)
- Elephants (1940)
- Ancient Storyteller (1940)
Beatrix Potter (1866-1943)
- Beatrix Potter - an older documentary starring Helen Bonham Carter (part 2 is here)
- The History Chicks Podcast:Beatrix Potter
- Miss Potter feature film
OPTIONAL: Angelica Kauffman (1741 – 1807)
BOOKS and Articles:
- Art 318 - Angelika Kauffmann - an amatuer but excellent biography (part 2 here)
- A Study of Angelica Kauffman Self Portrait, Time Lapse - artist Christ Pickstock recreating one of her self portraits
- Self Portrait Aged Thirteen (1753) alongside Self Portrait (1771) - more info
- Self-portrait Hesitating between the Arts of Music and Painting (1791)
- Study of a Standing Woman (1792) - more info here; finished painting here
- The Ely Family (1741-1807) - more info
- The Artist in the Character of Design Listening to the Inspiration of Poetry (1782)
- Cornelia, Mother of the Gracchi (1785) - more info