We have added suggested art pieces for each artist and some, hopefully, useful links to other information. However, feel free to choose pieces that appeal to you. You are welcome to use art print books and pick six pieces that most appeal to you and your children.
The rotation starts in the Renaissance and moves roughly forward in history to modern times and then returns to the earliest artists and begins a basic chronological rotation for a second time. Every three years, an ancient art or architecture term is included. There is also one opening for you to select a local artist, perhaps a modern one that you could even meet!
Feel free to mix and match terms and to swap out artists as desired.
The purpose of the artist study is to appreciate and interact with great art.
There are no definitive artists or pieces that every person should know.
The choosing of artists and their pieces is highly subjective! We have tried to include a collection of artists that represents both men and women equally and also draws heavily from the works of visible minorities and other world artists. As such, there are many "well-known" artists who are not listed here.
We encourage you to share the ones you know and love with your children, and be open to finding great art wherever you might encounter it!
A Note about the Updated Version, July 2020
Some of the artists that were originally in the rotation were removed to make way for a more balanced selection in terms of gender and nationality. This unfortunately had the impact of moving some artists around and you may have already just studied an artist.
If this is the case, we have included an optional replacement artist but you are free to choose anyone else that interests you!
- Grandma Moses (1860-1961) OR Laura Wheeler Waring (1887–1948)
- Tarsila do Amaral (1886-1973)
- Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)
- Ansel Adams (1902-1984)
- Andy Warhol (1928-1987)
- Sofonisba Anguissola (1532-1625) OR Jeong Seon (1676–1759)
- Clara Peeters (1594–1657)
- Maria Sibylla Merian (1647-1717)
- Nainsukh (1710-1778)
- Louise Élisabeth Vigée Le Brun (1755 – 1842)
- Robert S. Duncanson (1821–1872)
- Edward Bannister (1828 – 1901)
- Georgia O'Keeffe (1887-1986)
- Ancient Art
- Mary Cassatt (1845-1926)
- Edvard Munch (1863-1944)
- Diego Rivera (1886-1957)
- Augusta Savage (1892-1962)
- Velino Shije Herrera (1902 – 1973) also known as Ma Pe Wi
- Hale Aspacio Woodruff (1900–1980)
- Emily Carr (1871-1945)
- Frida Kahlo (1907-1954)
- A local artist of your choice
- Leonardo Da Vinci (1452-1519)
- Wen Shu or Wen Chu (1595-1634)
- Johannes Vermeer (1632-1675)
- Jeong Seon (Korean: 정선) (1676–1759)
- Angelica Kauffman (1741 – 1807)
- JMW Turner (1775-1851) and/or John Constable (1776-1837)
- Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890)
- Laura Wheeler Waring (1887–1948)
- Ancient Art
Past Archived Year is Revised Version
- Claude Monet (1840-1926)
- Amrita Sher-Gil (1913-1941)
- Beatrix Potter (1866-1943) OR Angelica Kauffman (1741 – 1807)